picture source: June Letters
The start of a new year is always a funny time for me, and I feel like a lot of people can relate. We spend days preparing for and counting down to one second, one exact moment. The clock strikes midnight, screams are heard and kisses are exchanged (for everyone but me)… but then what? What’s next? No one ever seems to plan out the next few minutes, let alone hours or days or weeks, following the big ball drop.
To be honest, I don’t like NYE. Okay, to be completely honest, I hate it. It’s my least favorite holiday of the year. Do most people have “least favorite holidays”? I don’t know. But I do. I always feel so much pressure to make plans and find a party to ring in the new year at. Nothing ever goes as planned. Year after year, I end up home alone with my 2 cats while everyone else is out having the night of their life. But this isn’t a pity post. This is a post filled with excitement and joy and hope for amazing things to happen in 2015.
I have so many crazy things in store for me this year. I’ll be graduating high school (!!!) and starting college (wherever that may be). I have officially been hired as a videographer at the summer camp I grew up at (that is a story for another post. Dream. Come. True.) and I have a senior trip to plan. I dream of 2015 being filled with adventure and whimsy (to quote my now favorite author Bob Goff). I want each day to hold new opportunities of happiness and joy.
Slowly but surely, I’ve come to understand that each year is only as good as you make it. There is no “I was good in 2014, so I’m sure I’ll be rewarded in 2015”. I need to get off my ass and go make this year great. I found a list of goals for 2015 online (source), and they are perfect. I’m hoping I can keep these in mind all year and make 2015 a year to remember. Sorry in advance for the language, it’s kind of vulgar. I didn’t write it.
1. Sleep earlier, rise earlier – get off your phone, set a time, create a habit.
2. Read more – and not just shitty fanfics. Read them too. But read. Read classics, read newspapers, read magazines, read fictional books, read joke books. Just read.
3. Stay away from people who do not deserve you – you are worth a lot more. Fuck their shitty opinions.
4. Eat well – and I don’t mean diet. I mean, eat well. Eat healthy, indulge every once in a while, but don’t go overboard. Eat for your health and not for society.
5. Create a plan that will be enjoyable for exercise and just do it – no fucking around this year
6. Study well – an hour every single day. Just one hour of uninterrupted, that’s all it will take. Apprendre et travail dans Francais – Je ne sais pas si ce est juste, pardon a mon francais suiveurs
7. Pamper yourself- give yourself one hour. One hour a week to unwind. To week to wash your hair, leave in your conditioner, soak your skin, have a face mask, shave your legs, light some candles, drink some tea, put on nice smelling lotion and comfy pajamas, put on some nice music and sleep well.
8. Put in an effort – doing your hair nicely, putting on that clean change of clothes and a simple coat of mascara has a lot of power to make you feel a hell of a lot better
9. Learn new VOCAB – because why the fuck not? Write down your new words that you learn while reading, use them in conversations; expand your vocab, because when you are sitting in the exam room, you’ll be glad you have.
10. Plan an outing once a week – have something to look forward to, to be excited for. Experience new things.
11. Set small goals – 3 small things to do every day, and don’t sleep till you have them done. 3×365 knowledgeable achievements will be worth it – trust me
12. Meet new people – don’t be so quick to judge.
13. Love yourself – I’m still trying to figure this one out, but I’m beginning to feel like I am worth it.
14. Art – practice makes perfect. Work, and when you can’t work, learn. Discover artists and their pieces, their inspirations, their style. Document it. There is always something to do to improve, whether it be through practice or research.
15. Stick to these goddamn goals. 2015 will be the shit if I make it.
So, yeah. I have big dreams for 2015 and I can’t wait to get started. Let me know if you like the things on this list, of any goals you have for this year! Happy 2015, I hope your year is filled with adventures and laughter and good times with great friends.